Home The vaddas Arts of water Uva wonders Sanctuaries Where to stay Aquatic beauty How to access Viewing points About us
This is situated in Badulla, 0.5 km away from the town. The name has been used since the earliest period of this temple. According to the legend, the name came into use as the Stupa was build by enshrining the relic of the drops of sweat of the Lord Buddha.
This is one of the most sacred places of the Buddhist out of sixteen sacred places (Solosmastana) in Sri Lanka. According to the disciplinary commentary (Vinaya Pitakeya) “Samantha Pasadika” written by the priest Buddhaghosha, the Buddha has stayed here in his visit to Sri Lanka in the 8th year of his enlightenment. It is also said that the Buddha has been in attainment of cessation (Nirodha Sampaththi) here with five hundred Arhaths.The gorgeous Perahera is the centere of attraction held every year in the Muthiyangana temple.
Dowa Rock Temple
Dowa Rock Temple is situated by the Bandarawela – Badulla road 4.5 km away from Bandarawela. This belongs to king Walagamba era. In the past, this was known as the Kumbaltispaha vihara and later on as Ariyakara Temple. Frescoes and inscriptions belong to the first century B.C. The most attractive feature is the 36 ft (10.98m) incomplete standing statue of the Load Buddha carved out of a stone cliff. Inside the cave covered by drip-ledges are full of frescoes belong to into Kandyan period. The gorgeous Perahera is centre of attraction held in every year.
The large and beautiful Mahiyangana Stupa a kilometer south of the town signifies the spot at which the Load Buddha preached. Enshrined in the stupa is a lock of blue-black hair of Load Buddha and a relic of collarbone of Buddha. The area is very attrctive the park with the dageba is well kept and is overlooked by the hills on the far bank of the Mahaweli. The stupa was built by prince Saman of Dewa tribes of pre-historic Lanka, (Other 2 tribes were Yakka and Naga) during the first visit of Load Buddha to the island. It was rebuilt by the hero of the the nation King Dutugamunu of Ruhuna ( 161-136 B.C) and has been restored many times by a successing of kings, as King Voharaka Tissa (214-235 A.D), King Sangabodhi (251-252 A.D), King Sena 2nd (847-900 A.D), King Kassapa the 4th (912-928 A.D), King Vijayabahu (1065-1119 A.D), King Narendrasinghe (1705-1737 A.D) and king Keerthi Sri Rajasinghe (1746-1778 A.D). There is a Devale for the god of Saman. The main religious festival is held in September. The most significant feature of this Perehera is the Veddha dance which is performed by the Vaddhas (The Aborigines of Sri Lanka).
This temple is found 13km from Medithale junction on Badulla Mahiyangana road via Kohana. It is believed that King Walagamba had built this at the time he was hiding after his defeat. There are some ruins of a Castle and ancient statue of the Buddha in this temple. The Shrine Room which is inside the cave and it has been decorated by frescoes. It is also important as a view point, because a vast area can be seen from here. According to the folklore, there had been a tunnel from here to Bogada Raja Maha Vihara. (Temple)
Kotasara Piyangala Temple
This is about 15 km on the Bibila- Kataragama road. This is considered to be built during the period of King Walagamba. There is a rock shrine room and ruins of an old building believed to be a temple of Tooth Relic. There is an ancient well dug by one giant, when the perahera arrived. It is believed that during the Walagamba era, the sacred Tooth Relic of the Load Buddha was kept here.
Maligawila Buddha Statue
There are two ways to reach this temple. One is Kumbukkana- Maligavila road. Its distance is 14 km. The other access is the Buththala Okkampitiya road via Helagama with a distance of 16 km. The statue of Maligawila has captured a highest position among the statues in the Asia. This was built by King Dhappula VII while the Mahawansa says that this statue was constructed by the King Aggabodhi. In the chronicle Mahawansa and also in other compositions, this temple is mentioned by other names such as Ariyakara temple and Ariyakoth temple. Maligawila is famous for the statue of standing posture of the Load Buddha. This has been made using a special lime stone and it was established here transporting from some other area. The chronicles say that King Aggabodhi has constructed a rock statue in the village of Kanagama in Southern part of Sri Lanka. It has been revealed that Kanagama is the ruins of Maligavila. The height of this statue is 34 ft (10.37m) and the width in the shoulder part is 10 feet (3.05m).
Dambegoda Bodhisathwa Statue.
Dambegoda Maithree Bodhisathwa statue is situated about 300 meters from Maligavila statue facing the east. According to the chronicle Mahawansa, this statue belongs to the 8th century constructed by king Dhappula I, a brother of a powered King Agbo in the south. This was made by lime stone on a base of a flower of 14 ft (4.27m), 10.5 inches (26.5cm) height and 30 ft (9.2m) circumference. The statue represents the Awaloketheswara Bodhisathwa belongs to the traditions of Mahayana. Both Maligavila statue and DAmbegoda Bodhisathwa statue are made of a Kind of lime stone. This is the second to none of any statue of this kind in the world.
Dematamal vihara (Temple)
This is situated in the village called Helagama on the Buttala Okkampitiya road. It is located in the middle of paddy field, you can see the coloured Stupa and the bo-tree surrounded by the green paddy feilds from the road itself.This holy place belongs to the 3rd century AD. This place has given protection to the Prince Saddhatissa, the brother of King Dutugemunu in the 2nd century AD. In addition to the peaceful and serene location, the temple ruins include pillars, guardstone, stone steps, an image house and a series of meditation cells.
Kataragama is and ancient sacred riverside pilgrims site whree all religions worshipped.Hindus,Buddhists, Muslims and christians visit this ancient site. The history and the legend run back to the prehistory. It is belived that King Dutugemunu, the warrior King and Sinhala folk hero, built a shrine here for the worship of the Kataragama God in the second centuery BC. There is also a first century BC Budhist dagoba, Kirivehara at this site. The Maha Devala, the main shrine of God Skandha, the Hindu war God, and several other adjoining Hindu
shrines, conduct daily religious rituals(Puja). A large number of devotees visit here to fulfil their vows. The main festival is the procession (Perahera) which is held every year. Conch shells below, trumpets blare and drums beat out as voices rise in unison to a chorus of chants of "Haro Hara" elephant's parade, drummers, drum and bows are made. Some devotees seeking favors demonstrate their devotion to the God by performng extraordinary acts of penance and salf-motification tongues and cheeks are transfixted by spikers, butchers hooks penetrating thir skin.Some devotees are suspended up in the air by and array of hooks and mounted on ox driven carts swing forth and backwords freely, others roll hafe nake over the hot sands near the temple.Perades pilgrims take part in vibrant and vigorous Kavadi (peacock dance) men,women and children holding decorated semi circular red arches made of wood paper above their head dance to the beet of drumers and trumpeters.
The fire walkers, who had prepared themselves for the festival by acts of past meditate and pray for the last few weeks, at the end of the festival, take a rituals bath in the Menik Ganga and pay homage to the God Kataragama Maha Devala. Then they step out into the glowing beds of red-hot-cinders-while audience cries out encouragement.
The festival ends with a ceramony of water cutting: The waters of the Menik Ganga are "cut " with sword, at the moment of the full moon, symboixes the seperation of pure from impure and the invocations of rain for the harvest.
Official Tourism Website of Uva Province, Sri Lanka © Uva Province Tourism Ministry Sri Lanka. All Rights reserved.